Friday, October 28, 2005

Lessons learned this week


  • I learned that as depressed as I have been, I still have a strong will to survive - and that my fight or flight instincts will still overcome my desire to keep the peace.

  • I learned that my two year old is exceptionally good at hiding work badges especially the ones you have to pay to replace.

  • I learned that my little one sleeps really, really well at 5 am in the morning on a mattress on the floor - perhaps the problem at 7 pm, 8 pm and 9 pm is that I keep trying to get him to sleep in a bed?

  • I learned that I'm still deeply touched by the tragedy and loss of lives in Katrina and Iraq; and even the tsunami last year - but somehow the Pakistan earthquake victims, not as much. Is it just that we can only bear so much grief at a time? I mean whole schools were virtually destroyed where only a couple of children out of a whole classroom might have survived, and yet, I'm more angered by a headline "It comes in like a tsunami" seems like a very disrespectful way to talk about computer junk when it took so many lives last year. Though I am thankful that several articles on the net are covering a couple of the lives and joys of some of the lost men and women in Iraq to try to put a touch of humanity behind the 2000 lives lost. But, why isn't the Pakistan earthquake motivating me? Is it just "one more thing too many?"

  • I learned that my son thinks I'm faking illness for some reason... that nothing is really wrong with me. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt, perhaps the thought that my life might be in danger is the "one more thing too many" that he can deal with.

  • I learned that he can bald-face lie better than anyone else I know.

  • I learned that genes make a bigger difference in my quality of life than income, boyfriends, job and location.

  • I learned that I really don't like getting up at 4 am anymore and that I don't like myself when I can barely function for lack of sleep.


Maybe next week won't be so grim... or maybe I need to talk to the doctor about changing to newer, better happy pills?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creative Reporter pays citizen journalists
The Creative Weblogging network of bloggers has launched a new project, Creative Reporter , that pays readers to write "collaborative journalism." Creative has no formal contract with the reporters, but will ...
I was just searching blogs and found yours. I like it!

Sonny M.

If you have a moment, please visit my site on eliminate manic depression...I think you'll find it interesting. It pretty much covers eliminate manic depression related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Bob said...

Get your mind off things, we'll have fun tomorrow. The boys will love it, and we can gossip!

Bob said...

And Oh Oh Oh!!! I know a better liar.