Monday, November 21, 2005

Health update - for my family

As if they read this! Oh, well, whatever, it is what it is. And if no one reads it, that's ok too, at least it's a way to 'express' some of what I'm going through.

I'd actually been doing fairly well, few spells of any count and less pain. Still exhausted though. Long weekend in St Louis was both very restful, yet tiring - It took a lot of me on the drive back.

Saturday - I tried to do some cleaning 10 minutes up - 50 minutes down. I had plenty of sleep, but I just can't seem to get anything done. I work for 10 minutes and I can't breath anymore - my chest tightens, the pain in my left underarm strikes - it feels like someone has a saw on the inside of the arm and is ripping it forward and back trying to saw it's way out of my arm. Picture two miniature flannel wearing lumberjacks on either side of a old fashioned tree-downing lumber mill saw working their way out of my armpit.

It takes thirty minutes sitting down before I can feel the pain ease - then another 20 minutes or so to feel like it's worth trying to stand up again, let alone go back to work.

Sunday - forget it. Every time I stood up the pain would return.

I didn't go anywhere to get it checked out - why bother? I know what the answer is. We don't see anything. Obviously whatever is wrong isn't going to kill me... but jeez do you think it would have to hurt so bad in the meantime? And my house, god it's very disgusting. I hate how filthy it has become and not feeling well enough to tackle it. Right now, work I can do - I sit at my desk all day and read documents on a screen. That's easy. The four-five block walk into the office has become a challenge... but I'm able to do it, it's just the last block or two that makes me feel like I'm going to faint.

Anyway - per doctor test results - the final word is I DEFINITELY have protein C deficiency - it's mild, but it's there. My homocysteine levels are currently normal - but I still need to take supplements the rest of my life. Verdict is that the combination of untreated high homocysteine levels, birth control pills and the protein C deficiency caused the pulmonary embolisms last year...

Since I have the homocysteine levels under control and am no longer on birth control pills, my risk factors for blood clots are greatly reduced and therefore - no blood thinner unless I have another clot.

2 comments:

Zen said...

Win BIG with FREE money from my sponsors

britchik96 said...

I feel bad that it drained so much out of you coming down to STL....how awful! Sounds to me like you need to find a doc to remove the pain.... it may be that you pulled a muscle and not realized it....but it sounds like you would have figured that out a long time ago. I'll be thinking of ya!