Thursday, December 15, 2005

Back to work again today


Well, still not very good, only working 2 out of 4 days so far this week? Far cry from all five days last week. But, I'm trying. Yesterday I did plan to come in, but when I didn't wake up until 7 am (which seems to be the norm even on days I do make it in)… and there were icy streets and school delays, and I knew I had to take off before noon to make it back home in time for the ultrasound, I just couldn't imagine facing driving with my dizzy spells on icy roads for just a couple of hours of work.

I made it in today - again, still oversleeping. UGH, I don't really want to come here to whine, but it seems like it's all I'm doing.

Anyway, I shipped off my train last night and delivered books to Marshalltown from my book party. Between the two, I made $200 which helps given that the work I'm missing now means another short paycheck.

They didn't say anything during the ultrasound (as they never want to do) and so we're now waiting on word from the doc. If they don't find anything in the ultrasound - they might put me on meds to 'block' the extra hormones my thyroid is producing - supposedly that only works for about 30% of the people it's given to - so they might skip that step. Second step if those pills don't work or they decide to skip it - is a dose of radioactive iodine… which I'm not sure what I'm going to do about… I can't be near anyone for 24 hours - no biggie - I would just camp out in my bedroom more or less… get a sitter for one day, not a big deal… however, after that 24 hours, I can't be within 3 feet of any children for five days. OK - how do you explain to a toddler that mommy can't hold him, can't hand him his drink, can't tuck him in to bed, etc???? I'd have to have someone take him for the whole five days, I think - I don't know how else I'd be able to handle him crying when he doesn't get to be picked up by me. Even though this isn't the worst case scenario as far as the doctor is concerned, it is to me…. I'm not sure how I can handle that.

If they do find something in the ultrasound - the next step might be to do a biopsy - I guess it's a painless out-patient procedure where they use a needle to draw out a couple of cells.  Then the worst case scenario (as far as doc is concerned) is to do a partial or total removal of the thyroid… but apparently it's being done practically as an out patient or the minimum 24 hour stay, so it's really pretty minor surgery - of course, worse case to me is that they may want to do the radioactive iodine before the surgery if that's the way we have to go… so I've still got my fingers crossed.

1 comment:

britchik96 said...

My experience with ultrasound is that if they'd found anything really "suspect" you wouldn't have left the hospital. You'd have been in the ER asap. That's the good side. I can't imagine what it'd be like if you have to hvae the iodine. My grandmother had thyroid issues for years - she just took a pill a day......obviously you're special and have to have funky stuff done!