Friday, December 23, 2005

Looking for info on migraines


I've actually be trying to find information on webmd, and various other health.net sites about the spells I've been having. Not too much luck so far, not sure what terms to use for search.

The spells themselves are painless. I lose the ability to focus my right eye, I get dizzy and disoriented. The dizziness usually upsets my stomach. My right side of my face, right hand, right foot goes numb. This lasts anywhere from 15 to 60 minutes - although I did have one spell that lasted about 36 hours. Supposedly these are a rare form of migraine and NOT warning signs of a stroke per the Neurologist. According to him it's because it's the same nerves that would pass the 'pain' signal, just not painful. I did have one spell during an MRI - which did turn into a full-on migraine, if you've ever had one, you know why. It sounds like they're trying jackhammer the thing two inches from your head.  I've had one serious migraine since then that had me in bed for 24 hours… and I don't usually get migraines. None of the over the counter migraine meds do a thing for me.

The ER doctor has me on an adult aspirin per day for stroke prevention "just in case" the neurologist is wrong. Three months later, I'm not seeing any improvement. There are times when I get fewer spells for up to a week at a time, but I think there's only been two days in the past three months where I've gone a whole day without a spell.

So, anyway, I've been trying to find information on the web about this kind of spell… but have no clue how to find it. If I do the symptom thing - it tells me to call an ambulance, I'm having early warning of stroke. If I do migraine - it gives me the traditional type of migraine results and even after serious digging in the migraine sites, I'm not finding anything that deals with this. I did find 'eye migraine' which affects the vision of one eye - but no other symptoms. Anyone have any 'search terms' to help me find something?

I guess I partly want to see if the chest pain is related… which would ease my mind some. But so far, I just feel like people are just telling me something to get me out of their office instead of really figuring things out. I don't think I'm actually dying or anything, but there's so much room for improvement in my quality of life. I've had a couple of doctors get truly serious about digging into things - the Pulmonologist in CR and the Rheumatologist in Des Moines…. But the Pulmonologist said, nothing's wrong - you need to go to a rheumatologist… the rheumatologist said - you've got a clotting disorder, that explains everything - you need to see a hematologist. The hematologist says, you've got a clotting disorder - go home, call me if you ever get another clot… and we'll put you on anticoagulants at that time and your regular doctor can take care of that. My doctor says "I don't know what to do with you."

4 comments:

britchik96 said...

Have you thought about allergies? I know it sounds weird...but why don't you check your symptoms on allergy websites...or even webmd. You might find you get a different response. I found a great allergist in STL (not helpful for you i know), but he did really thorough analysis....maybe there's someone at UofI hospital that could help.

I know someone who had severe endometriosis and wanted a baby - she completely changed her diet and within a couple of years she now has a daughter. It completely changed her life.

Worth checking out.....

spider said...

when I do the symptom checker on webmd - it tells me that I need to dial 911 immediately... but since I've been to the hospital multiple times, it just doesn't seem appropriate to go yet again... what are they going to tell me? I suppose U of I is the real answer... just go and have them run tons of tests - only it really doesn't sound like any fun. And my mom HATES them after my father died there. Not sure she'll ever get over it.

britchik96 said...

I'm sure you've found this website.....http://www.migrainepage.com/dcforum/discussion/6754.html

The symptoms the lady in the first email has are almost the same as yours. Except that you experience it more. You may fidn it a good place to get some answers.

spider said...

Thanks for the link Phil - I've left a post about my symptoms to see what they think about it.