Saturday, December 22, 2007

Almost Ready for Christmas

I spent too much money, as always. But "a" should have a blast.

"A" is getting what he's asked for, and not much more... I couldn't find any coal for his stocking, so limited gifts seem appropriate. He should be at least thrilled to be home for Christmas. He got out on "pretrial release". Which is supposed to be a good sign that they don't expect to sentence him for more than a few months... as "pretrial release" usually means that they think holding you until the trial (six months from now) would be more time served than the crime committed. Since he's charged with felony burglary (up to 25 years) and assault (two months max), there's a good chance that he'll get the burglary charges dropped (we hope). It's a lot like probation. He has to check in with his probation officer, he can't step foot in Jasper county, and he can't screw up. We'll see how it goes...

Me, I'm struggling with the thought of going to my step-dad's house on Sunday. Driving three hours each direction to exchange gifts in a house without my mother in it, and without her "all out" Christmas decorating, and her all out Christmas treats with items that at least one person in the family considered their favorites. It just doesn't seem right. I have gifts for my nieces & nephews and a warm sweatshirt for my step dad who's lost over 100 pounds and all his clothes are WAY too big now, plus he's always cold now... and it's a big plus that it isn't on Christmas Eve nor Christmas day... but it still doesn't feel right. It's just too depressing.

Other than that, I have a new tradition that I think I'm going to implement this year - starting tonight. I'm going to gather up all of the presents and wrap them with a generous serving of Bailey's and Buttershots on ice with Christmas carols playing. I think the drink addition will add a great feel to the holiday mood.

1 comment:

britchik96 said...

I only have fond memories of your Mom. I'm glad you can spend Christmas with Adam. Think of the happy times and just look at Alex having fun with Santa when you feel sad. I will be thinking of you.