Thursday, May 15, 2008

Can't live with them - can't kill them

Well, as we all knew it would happen.

The frustration levels with "A" are mounting again.

He hasn't done squat all week,

except play online computer games.

I've given him a list of chores every day

wait...

correction:

He's done two things - both poorly

1) He did half of the first chore on the list and then stopped and whined about it

2) He picked up "a" at daycare yesterday. I had to call to remind him to go; then he went but forgot to take a car seat with him; so he had to make two trips... and I'm being charged $20 late pick-up fee as a result that he forgot the seat.

Today, I called him repeatedly to try to get him "up" while I was at work.

He got up out of bed at 4:00 PM.... yes, that is late afternoon, to the rest of the world.

He finally returned my call, I asked him to help me search for a phone number I need.

He asked why I needed it - I said because we're going to St Louis tomorrow. Then I asked if he had gotten permission to drive to St Louis or not yet... he said no because he didn't know yet what day. He needs a day in advance.

Well, ok... that's fine - we can just stay in Iowa City tomorrow and get permission to drive to St Louis on Saturday instead.

No, we can't... why not?

Because he never asked permission to drive to Iowa City on Friday & Sunday.

Why not? I told him weeks ago that we needed to go to Iowa City... and I wrote in on the calendar so he couldn't forget.

Because (in that TONE of voice) it's all my fault for telling him TOO SOON. AND, after all... why would he bother to use a calendar? AND THEN HE HUNG UP ON ME.

I am sick of this sh*t.

As a result, I now get to drive to Iowa City & St Louis on my own in a vehicle that has 130,000 miles on it. Actually, no... because the net result of that would be that the car will die mid-way somewhere and cost me more to deal with it than the car is worth. I'm going to check for car rental weekend specials instead... but this so SUCKS!

As it is, his attitude has gotten increasingly worse lately. Even though I've been trying to not react to it and been killing him with kindness. The only issue I've addressed is the fact that as it is I don't want him to smoke (although knowing he's an adult, I can't prevent it)... the fact that I've been PAYING for his cigarettes lately - that I can bitch about. Ummm... NO. NOT ACCEPTABLE. You want to have them - you figure out how to get a d*mn job and then you can do what you choose with your money. My money - does not need to go to cigarettes that my son wants to smoke.

In the meantime, he's stated a wish to go back to jail - I told him "your wish is my command" and then he backed down some. But, really? If he's not going to get a job? Ummm... need to figure out what your priorities are - because you don't get to spend the night playing games your whole life.... when you have no money. Life doesn't work that way.

So - again, we will be addressing the whole - do you really want to live here or not discussion. I don't have to let you live here and I don't need your attitude and I don't need the sh*t you bring. Want to play nice or what? It's almost like he thinks that because he was nice to me on mother's day - that all the other rules no longer apply to him.

Well, I've got to run, I have to stop at the atm to get the money to pay the sitter tonight - they only take cash for late fees.... in the meantime, I'm going to dream about my new apartment without a sofa-squatter.

1 comment:

britchik96 said...

Oh dear, I'm sorry. I hope you have a good trip to STL. When you move, make sure A doesn't come with you. You work hard for your money and he's sponged off you long enough. Have fun getting the puppy.