Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Calling Dr House!

As my friends and I have frequently stated - I need to go see Dr. House. I'm fascinated by that show... mostly because I'm having so much trouble getting good diagnosis and resolution to my health issues. People in similar boats also find that show fascinating. What I find TRULY interesting is that I have been diagnosed with some of the conditions that are almost always discussed as either a possible diagnosis or the end-run diagnosis that shows up episode after episode. Between blood clots, stroke and pulmonary embolism (a clot that breaks off and goes to the lungs... and even PFO (a hole in the heart that allows a clot to pass through the heart). I hear these terms on that show all the time.

I did hear at one time (maybe tv channel?) that the character is based on a real-life former doctor in Africa who is no longer allowed to practice medicine (unlike the current character)... he works as a janitor at the hospital and when the doctors cannot get a diagnosis - they go to him and he works through the diagnosis - they work through the tests and treatments... very much like the current character.

So, how do we find the other Dr Houses of the world? Where are good diagnaticians and why can't we just google them to find the ones in the US?

No comments: