Friday, July 25, 2008

A different "class" of woman

Phil wrote a moving post about how never having a child has never made her feel like she was missing anything - and all seriousness aside, I TOTALLY agree that raising teenagers? Kind of turns the baby charm thing all on it's end... they aren't so charming from 14 & up.

But, reading her post, and the post of the woman who had ALWAYS wanted children but couldn't have them and how when asked how old her children are - always feels like she's the new leper... well that got me thinking.

When meeting a new woman (wife of co-worker) or randomly at various events... I have a question that I want to ask, BUT, I can't figure out the politically correct way to ask it without it sounding dumb. I want to ask what they do for a living... but knowing that many are home-makers (or potential home-makers)... I usually start by asking if they work outside the home? And again, feel like I'm screwing it up. Because we all know that work inside & outside the home is still work and I really don't have any intent to minimize their "work" even if it is home-making.

Although, isn't it funny that us full-time work outside the home mothers don't get credit for being home-makers too? Who do you think makes it all happen? We just don't get to do that work home from 8-5.

But, anyway, what I really want to know is are they a working mother or a stay at home mother, and if they do work what they do? Then I'd follow it with questions about hobbies & interests... right? How do you ask that? I always stumble with it.

No comments: