Thursday, September 11, 2008

Go Figure

I'm currently two months behind on my car payment. I had called them and asked them to 'defer' two months of payments - and was denied. I explained, just because you won't let me defer them doesn't mean I can make them... it means I'm going to end up two months behind in car payments. So be it.

I've been looking at selling it or trading it in. Not that I don't love it, but honestly? I'm a bit frustrated that I currently owe about $16K on a vehicle worth about $11K. I figured that if I trade it in, my new care payments will be higher because (of course) that "balance" will just get moved to the new car (assuming the car company will even cover the additional $5K). I knew if I sold it out-right, I would still owe the $5K difference, only instead of it being within my payments, it would be due immediately - which I know I can't cover.

Speaking with the finance company - they are willing to work with me given my situation, and if I can get offers for it and communicate those offers to them... they will "settle" for less. Of course they want about $12.5 to $13K, which I'm not sure I can get... but I can sure try.

So, my thought was that if I no longer had to worry about a $600/month car payment, I could take one of those car payments to do the little bit of work (new tires, issue with door) to fix up the cheap car I bought when I was laid up... it's a beater, but it has been dependable.... until today.

"A" had an appointment with DHS to try to get Title 19 (to get health insurance). The two days before he had appointments with DHS and his probation officer. So, he borrowed my car for three days in a row - and now the engine is blown. He drove it while it was low in oil. I'd checked it a couple of weeks ago and it was fine, but then it sat.

I can't totally blame him (as much as I want to) because I knew that it did have oil issues, and I didn't have the money to go spend $3 on a quart of oil to "have around" and he didn't have any money to go buy oil. HOWEVER, if he'd checked the oil and known it was low, he could have taken the bus.

I could take this in stride MUCH easier if this isn't how his first car died, if I hadn't just spent over $3K in fixing up the RAV4 over the past year for the two times he drove it & ruined it, and if he hadn't just taken away the car I was going to start driving if I sold my car.

I'm going to end up taking the bus! UGH! I know, I know... this isn't a good sign that he's become more responsible - but it was MY car and I did know of the oil issue and I didn't tell him NOT to drive it. I didn't tell him NOT to drive it if it was low in oil. I just let it happen.

I'm hoping (against hope) that they'll do one of those "We'll give you $2K for your trade-in even if you have to pull it here" deals in the near future and I can use that to replace my vehicle -but knowing my luck and bad timing, it's not going to happen in the near future. GRRR....

1 comment:

britchik96 said...

Am I reading this right that A has the car andyou're getting the bus? If so....you are freaking nuts. YOu do not have the money to support him....he needs to be out on his own (i know you know that)