Thursday, December 11, 2008

$5 dinner challenge

I've been following a blog for a while on $5 dinners. This woman cooks virtually every dinner for a family for 4 for under $5. Amazing. And, apparently I'm slow on the uptake. She issued a challenge for other mother's to post their $5 dinners on Mondays. So, I'm going to do a post today (thursday)... did I mention? Slow on the uptake, yep, that's me.

So, here's my first of many.

Tuna & Noodles (not exactly from scratch, but very easy and boys LOVE, LOVE it).

1 pkg of Alfredo Noodles from Knorr (normally $1.59, but on sale for 10 for $10, and had coupons for $.75 off of 2; you can usually get the generic for a $1, but it's not nearly as good... and this sells for $1 a package about once a month - so I stock up & buy all ten, even though most of the time, I can get the $1 price even if I only buy 1). So - this time around - $.63

1 can of tuna (generic, cheapie; but funny enough, seems to taste better when I buy the cheap-o stuff, than when I buy the brand-name, good-for-you packed in water tuna) $.88

1/2 cup of frozen peas (generic pkg costs $1.00; only used about an eighth) but we'll round up and call it $.25

1/2 cup of chopped frozen carrots (purchased through angel food ministries; so can't quite figure out exactly what I paid for this portion... but if we go with the frozen veggies example) we'll call this a $.25 for now.

1/2 cup of milk ( ok, had to google this one to get the cost. There are 16 cups in a gallon; only I only used half a cup - so normally this would be 1/32 of the cost... only we've been watering down our milk 1/2 milk; 1/2 water.... buying whole milk & watering it down makes it taste more like 2%; so this works and -- doubles the amount of milk) $3.54 / 64 = $.06

1 tablespoon of butter ( no clue, shall we go with $.06??)

I follow the directions on the package of noodles which is heat the water to boiling, add noodles, cook for about 8 minutes. Only when adding the noodles, I add everything else at the same time.

TOO YUMMY, TOO EASY. How do you beat, quick, easy, semi-healthy (at least they're eating veggies) and everyone loves it & looks forward to eating it.

Total -- $2.13

Although I would say that for a family of four; this would be light for Dinner; would probably want to double-the recipe.... which would still only be $4.26. But for lunch for the three of us? this works out really well. All three of us usually have two helpings each... and then only stop because we've scraped the bottom of the pan clean.

I'll post more on Monday again.

1 comment:

britchik96 said...

Impressive. I'm sure I have something I can think of.....