Monday, December 29, 2008

Oreo Balls Recipe

Told you I'd post this - got around to it eventually. Very easy, fun for the kids to help; well - a little fun for the kids. A lot more work for mom. BUT, they are by far my favorite! And I can only make them for special occasions because I don't want to gain 80 pounds.

3 Ingredients (my favorite recipes are always short lists of ingredients)

1 pkg Oreos (best seem to be regular, but I'd have fun trying these with mint oreos)
1 8 oz pkg Cream Cheese
2 pkgs of Almond Bark (I get vanilla... original recipe calls for 1, but I always need more)

Step 1 - Crunch up the oreos into small pieces (the kids LOVE to help here... and love to sneak eating a few)

Step 2 - Use mixer to cream the cream cheese; when soft & not sticking - add cookie crumbs

Step 3 - Using a teaspoon - form the mixture into small balls - stick in fridge or freezer ... btw smaller, the better because they are ultra-rich... but smaller means they make more & sadly, that means it takes longer to make them.

Step 4 - Melt 1 pkg of Almond bark in either a double-boiler or microwave

Step 5 - Bring out the balls from where they've been chilling & dip into the melted almond bark - place on cookie sheet with either parchment paper or wax paper (I've been known to sprinkle with red & green sugar - but it's only to dress them up & isn't needed). When you run low on the almond bark - start melting the second package. (my hint? Since this takes so long? I do one package of almond bark an evening ... and just stick the left over balls from the fridge to dip on the second night.)

Step 6 - place in refrigerator for approximately 10 minutes (minimum)

These keep well in the refrigerator; but I prefer them room temperature to eat (softer that way) - but usually? they get eaten the second they get brought out... that is assuming they make it that far. Everyone in the family takes turns heading to the fridge for some excuse or another & snitching one & popping it into their mouth before turning around. As if that fools anyone. Not that I have room to talk - I'm as bad as they are.

3 comments:

Patty said...

Love the recipe!! I have had them from somewhere but now I can help the kids make them. :) Thank you!

Chronic Chick Talk said...

This recipe sounds really good. Thanks for the visit love your $5 meal for family of 4. Cheap is good in this economy. I've used angel food in the past, but it got to the point where they were more expensive then grocery store and then you get stuck with things you wonn't eat. Your son is really tall.
Chronic Chick Talk

Cher said...

Yumm...We like the new Golden vanilla Oreos. I wonder how those would taste?