Monday, January 19, 2009

$5 dinner challenge

Sausage & Poorboy

Honestly? as much as I love eating poorboy? I learned how to make it while camping and it tastes tons better at a campground over a campfire ... with the wind chill down in the negative 20s for a few days... I felt like I needed a bit of a reminder of warmer days. Cooking it in the oven works too... not real sure why it doesn't taste quite as good?!

Italian Sausage or Polish Sausage or whatever-hits-your-trigger... recently on sale for 2 for $4 - so $2

Poorboy:
3 chopped potatoes ($2 for 5 pounds... ? maybe a pound?) $.40
Half bag of baby carrots ($.88) $.44
One chopped onion ($5 bag) $.50
2 TBSP butter $.08
Salt to taste $.08

Wrap up ingredients for poorboy into either a Reynold's foil bag (or cheaper option is to make one by making a pocket of foil & sealing it up with the contents. Place on cookie sheet & cook in oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees. About twenty minutes before it's done - cook the sausage on the stove top.

I love to eat cooked onions - but my son doesn't. I chop my onion into four big chunks ... and then I can pick them out of his servings, and chop them up & mix them into my servings. I actually don't care much for cooked carrots regularly - but cooked this way, I do... must be all that butter.

Total for a meal for a family of 4? $3.50 ... not too bad, not too bad at all.

No comments: