Monday, January 26, 2009

$5 dinner challenge

20 minutes to the table - Spaghetti

I debated about posting this meal... seems obvious, and it's not like everyone can't throw this together quickly & easily... but then I thought why not. All my meals are simple, quick to throw together & family favorites. So here goes...

1 can Hunts Traditional Spaghetti Sauce ($1.09)
1/4 package of Generic Spaghetti Noodles ( $2.00 / 4 = $.50)
1 lb Hamburger (bought on sale for $1.50)
1 can generic sliced mushrooms (.49) (drained)
Diced Onion to taste (I chop a whole onion & freeze, throw a little into meals as needed ... $.20)
1 can Corn (.49)

Put a pot of water on to boil the noodles while I thaw out the hamburger. If I've bought it in bulk, I'll brown it all up at once, and then freeze 1lb of it up in a package - ready browned. If I'm out, or they have a sale on 1lb packages (which they did last week) - I freeze it raw.

If the hamburger needs browning - I brown it in a sauce pan with the bits of onion. Meanwhile I toss the spaghetti in to boil.

Throw everything but the corn into the hamburger after I drain away excess fat.

Heat up the corn & voila - a family favorite. I made some Friday night, had lots of leftovers as "A" wasn't there - he managed to polish those off in about 5 minutes when he did laundry on Saturday. $4.27 total.... funny how a lot of my regular meals actually fit into the under $5 category once you figure it all up.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

My family loves spaghetti also, my youngest daughter could eat it every day!
Thanks for leaving a comment on my pay it forward,you made me cry. :)
I hope you have many blessings in 2009 and good luck on the giveaway!
:)Lisa


This is my 2nd try at leaving a comment...*fingers crossed!*