Monday, February 16, 2009

$5 dinner challenge

I think I'm down to my very last suggestion - without learning new recipes.

Leftover Casserole - at least that's what my mother called it... it's like a Shepherds Pie

1 lb Ground Beef - recently on sale for $1.89
1 can Condensed Tomato Soup - recently on sale + coupon - $.39
Leftover veggies - (let's say .29 for frozen veggies if I didn't have any leftovers)
Leftover mashed potatoes - (although I NEVER have these) - Hungry Jack instant potatoes were recently on sale w/ coupon for $.48

Brown the hamburger in a pan & drain grease. Mix in the tomato soup without any water or milk.
Spread meat mixture in the bottom of a baking dish.
Top with drained, leftover veggies - any you want.
Top with mashed potatoes (if you never have any leftovers, like me - you can mix up a batch of instant instead first in a separate pan).

Throw in the oven and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

This is one of my favorite comfort foods from when I was growing up. Gave up on "wishing" for leftover mashed potatoes several years ago. It doesn't matter if I make a double batch of mashed potatoes - triple, or even quadruple - they ALL get eaten at the meal it seems. Instant isn't quite as good, although those Hungry Jack potatoes were better than most of the instance potatoes I've tried lately.

Total Cost for a Family of five (when there isn't any leftovers) $3.56

No comments: