Monday, January 09, 2012

More not great news... along with some maturing

"A" is still making mistakes... but I think he's finally reached a new level of maturity. He messed up in November and went in to his parole officer for his session; and while not over the limit (like last time) ... he blew a .02 on the breathalizer. At 23, he's not allowed to drink at ALL for probation. He's going in today to start 45 days in county.

But, he's come around a long way since the last "mistake". He's planned ahead and his girlfriend has all the things he needs ready to be dropped off with him (instead of begging me to bring him things he needs). He's purchased phone cards ahead of time. His attitude is resolute that he'll get through this and come out the better for it in the end. He's determined to get off of parole ASAP... and while he's felt that way for a long time; this is the first time he's actually made a plan for how to do it.

His gf gets a lot of credit for this. She's become quite firm in what she expects out of him and screwing up again isn't something she's going to let him do.

I'm still feeling quite useless and frustrated that it's taking him so long to come to terms with life and get his act together. But, every time I turn around right now. I'm seeing glimmers of light at the end of the tunnel. He's getting some of this stuff figured out.

Now, how do I bribe her into talking him into going to college? LOL

1 comment:

Phil Lovegrove said...

Great to hear it's getting better for you. Don't ever underestimate the power of your work environment. I have had a new boss since September and it's fab. I may be bored coz I've done this job for 4 years, but at least he respects what I have to say!!