Monday, April 23, 2012

Hardly have anything to say

But I do want to get better about posting my thoughts out here. That was SO helpful when "a" was really young and "A" was really ornery.

And now "A" is less ornery and "a" is much more ornery.

So, what's going on? -- random thoughts -- brain dumping commencing.

Saturday - was a bridal shower for a nephew's fiance. She didn't know most folks and lives in Ames right now and he lives in Des Moines near us. So, kind of a long drive (200 miles each way) for the shower. But she raked in some goodies. Since "A" is engaged now, I'm thinking that I should try to do a shower out east as well next spring before their wedding.

Wasn't sure what I was going to do for the rest of the weekend, was kind of thinking of taking advantage of being in Eastern Iowa - and ended up spending a good 12 hours chatting with my ex-sister-in-law until the wee hours of the morning. Crashed on her couch for about five hours and then raced back to Central Iowa.

"a" was off with his dad on a weekend cub scout camping trip. Very nice. He had fun, but got really tired.

I need to figure out a third 'a' abbreviation. "A"s fiance has a son with an A name - go figure. So, now there is a 23 yr old son with an "A" name, an 8 yr old son with an "a" name and a 4 yr old grandson with another 'a' name.... lol...

Work is quiet. Amazingly quiet. Which also means borderline boring. And I've only just started. I have a lot more to learn about the business and background of how their systems are set up; but there's not much challenge to the actual work. I get a little frustrated because I don't feel challenged which means that when it comes to performance reviews, I find it hard to sell that I need a promotion or raise. And since that was the whole point of transferring to this department - I'm afraid I've got myself into a dead end. I'm just going to have to be patient and see how things go... but I'm not expecting miracles - I just want enough of a raise that I can afford to start saving for a down payment so I can buy a house again... technically I could if I wanted to give up any and all vacations. But I'd like to get the raise (since I'm not even getting cost of living raises) just so I'm not 'stuck'.

Vacation plans - taking two weeks off toward the end of June; going to go to South Dakota, see the bad lands, some caves, some buffalo, Mount Rushmore, etc. Take a week towards end of July and early August to go camping out in Eastern Iowa. Hoping to take the entire family, but "A" and his fiance might have to work on the weekend... so we'll see.

Teaching - I'm teaching a noon-hour knitting class downtown one day a week... taking a long lunch hour at work, driving down, setting up, teaching, tearing down, back to work - grab food along the way and crashing that night. It's going pretty well, considering. Considering I have over 40 students.

No comments: