Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sunday Cooking

Stuffed Green Bell Pepper Soup (made with yellow and red sweet peppers)


Recipe from www.food.com.

Used half a pound of pre-browned (and frozen) ground beef bought on sale for $3/pound (so $1.50).
Two sweet peppers @ $3
One can of tomato sauce @ $1.25
One can of diced tomatoes @ $1.45
One cup of brown rice  @ $.25
Beef bouilion @ $.25
Brown Sugar @ $.10
Two cans of water
Salt, pepper, onion flakes and garlic powder to taste ( $.15)

Cost to make - $7.85 - servings - about 16 very hearty servings (if that works out as true - less than $.50 per serving.  This was supper tonight and I'm dishing up a bunch of it for the freezer to take for lunch. I'll also set aside a serving tonight for tomorrow's lunch. I'm tagging it as a $5 meal; simply because I figure if you can feed eight people for under $10 it counts as a $5 meal for four. I also think that buying the peppers and tomatoes at a farmer's market (or growing them on your own) would probably make this even MORE affordable.  I had two bowls of it tonight - and am feeling stuffed to the gills... definitely filling.

Tastes just like stuffed green peppers without all the fuss. Recipe is the type I love - throw all the ingredients and cook. It turned out more like a stew-like consistency which adds to the heartiness. This is very really delicious and so much easier than making stuffed peppers. I will definitely be making this again. I just hope it freezes and reheats well. But I think it will. My mother used to make stuffed peppers when I was growing up and make dozens that she put in the freezer in individual packages for us to pull out for a heat-and-eat meal. I would think this will reheat even better because we can stir the bowl after it has thawed so it will reheat more evenly.

2 comments:

Honey Tariq said...

I completely agree with you. I really like this article. It contains a lot of useful information. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all. And of course nice review about the application.
So informative and interesting post have been shared here. It's very nice website. I will search this page again & again great list. I appreciate your efforts to bring such a huge list for us.
pancake mix

Tariq Honey said...

I truly enjoy reading on this internet site. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I have truly enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again soon! This post shows a report that is tighten to common. credible strategy of countenance resulting from which cause your post turn so informative.
vakantiehuis dordogne