Monday, October 08, 2012

How to stay motivated?

I don't find it hard to get motivated about saving money and trying to cut expenses.

But I do find it INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT to stay motivated.

I'm on week 3 of my stepping-stones-plan of getting my spending under control. And it's starting to get challenging.

So far, what's working for me is looking at each step and whether or not I'm succeeding at each step. I'm not yet at a point where I can start increasing my savings account. But I'm decreasing my medical debt every pay day by a certain degree.

I added progress monitors on my web page and I keep revisiting them. But progress is minimal.

So, I'm going back and revisiting my motivation. And that's helping.

What motivated me in the first place?

The fact that my savings account was dropping fast... so it wasn't that it wasn't growing (which is actually my goal). It was that I kept having to dip into savings every week or two.

So, taking that into account, this is the third week (so far) where I haven't had to dip into my savings. That means that what I'm doing IS WORKING. Even if it doesn't feel like it.

Secondly, I really want to be back to being debt free. Everything is paid off except for my current Hospital bills (from surgery at the end of July). I figure if by the end of the week, the only thing left are the bills I haven't received yet and the payment plan for the bulk of the expense... that's a plus. A big plus.

I have to keep reminding myself that I'm taking baby steps. And feeling frustrated that baby steps don't get you 100 miles an hour is pretty likely.

Lastly, it gives me a reason to start thinking about my NEXT steps. If I can get these three weeks under my belt and succeed. Then maybe, I can take yet another step to help MORE with my savings. If I keep focusing on what I need and why I need it - and why it is working (no matter how difficult things still are); then I'm more motivated to keep it up.

No comments: