Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Proposed debt settlement was rejected

So, first things first, it's $1400, not $1200. So when I came in at 45% on $1200, they weren't exactly in a receptive mood. Secondly, they refused point-blank to discuss any settlement option at less than 80% (which would require digging into savings and I'm doing my best to avoid that).

But they did agree to work with me. I explained my situation of paying $600/month on my current medical debt (which isn't in collections and I have EVERY intention of keeping it that way). Ergo - my medical debt from 2008 which HAS been in collections for a while takes a back seat.

They agreed to good-faith payments of $50/month until my hospital debt is retired and then we can discuss settling for 80% of what is left at that point.

I'm exceptionally frustrated by the fact that they wouldn't even consider any other offers for settlement as I have had a lot of luck in the past with settlement offers and working things out that way.

But, I owe the money - I don't have an issue with paying them money. I just can't afford all of it now and as long as they are willing to work with me, I'm willing to work with them. In the end the difference between the 60% I would have liked to have paid and the 80% they are going to insist on is only a few hundred dollars (not thousands). And that few hundred dollars is mostly fees and interest. So, it would still be a win if I can get any little bit knocked off. So, off to adjust my little ticker a little more for a) understating the debt and b) another payment to get to add.

No comments: