Sunday, December 16, 2012

MTHFR - under methylation, over methylation

So, one of the things I'm trying to do is slowly work up to the recommended supplementation for MTHFR. According to everything I've read so far, it's best to take it slow and not rush into things. I started really low with Methyl-B12; but since I'd taken it before - I only did that for a few days before going on to a full sublingual tablet a day.

When it was time to start samE, I took one tablet every other day (as the tablet is hard to divide with it's coating). No issues.

So, when it was time to start methyl folate, I started with a tablet a day. No symptoms for the first five days. Then - wham!

My heart was pounding, I was anxious, irritable, on edge. I just happened to have a dental procedure that very day - and they took my blood pressure. It was 140/110. Which is high for anyone. But sky-high for me. In fact, my doctor had specifically asked me to start adding more salt to my diet to try to bring my blood pressure up enough hoping it would help reduce my dizzy spells. These symptoms are apparently text book over-methylation symptoms.

I didn't have any niacin around (supposed to help bind the methyl folate) that night, but I picked some up the very next day so that I can carry it with me in case I have another episode.

I skipped the methyl folate for a couple of days, then I started taking 1/8th of a tablet daily. I spent a week at that dose, and am now at the 1/4th of a tablet a day.

I haven't had any episodes again, so I'm thinking that I'll stick with the 1/4th of a tablet for another week and add a different supplement this week.  Then I'll try a half tablet in a week. Add another supplement in the third week. Then maybe I'll try the whole tablet the week after that. I'm hoping the long, slow build up will help me with my symptoms and see if I can avoid the over methylation symptoms as well.

No comments: