Sunday, December 09, 2012

Netflix

So, I've gone beyond my initial free trial of Netflix and have paid for a month of programming. I almost cancelled it before the charge came, but got distracted and sure enough - like clockwork along comes the first month charge. And, I'm sure if one isn't careful - along comes the second month charge and so on. Which is exactly what most of those monthly plans count on.

I am really not finding much shows on Netflix that weren't also on Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus. And when you do the math - it's the one of the most expensive options - it just doesn't seem like it until you do the math.

Netflix & Hulu Plus are both $7.99 a month, which is $95.88 annually

Amazon Prime is $79.00 annually.

The "instant queue" feature is much more user friendly and easier to find the items you've found in the past and wanted to make sure you get to watch in the future. I also find that the recommended shows which were based on your previously viewed choices were pretty good fits.

What I didn't like is that there isn't an advanced search. I want to be able to pick something like 'for kids' 'animated' and then put in something like 'lego' or 'turtles' or 'trains' and that just wasn't a feature built into their system.

Before I bought the Roku, I was almost certain that I was going to go with Amazon Prime because the Amazon Prime service is the simplest to use on the Kindle. But with Roku, the vast majority of my watching will definitely be on the two tv's we have. Which means that Amazon Prime loses the advantage that they built into their device. To be honest I have a hard time with devices/software that likes to pin you down like that (my primary reason I don't like Apple products). But, with the device being free and the Amazon Prime being the lower cost option of the three services I've investigated... it seemed like the winner regardless of usability.

I might still go with Amazon Prime in the end, but I want to keep Netflix long enough to try on the Roku. Since it's a monthly service... I can keep it one more month, use it on the Roku - then switch to Amazon Prime. The only issue with that is that I'm not eligible for a second free trial month... so if I spend the annual fee, I'm not going to be able to cancel during the first month and get 11 months refunded. But, I do know how well it works with our other devices and am certain that since Roku includes Amazon Prime as a selling point in it's channel options, that it should work equally well on the device.

No comments: