Sunday, January 13, 2013

Almost two months post MTHFR treatment start

Treatments:

I've adopted several life style changes. The one that seems to have made the biggest impact on my condition appears to be the epsom salt baths. I am STILL AMAZED at how much it's reduced my chronic pain. I've cut out all alcohol and obvious forms of Folic Acid fortification, all dairy as well.

Supplements:

I'm taking 1/4 tablet of methyl Folate, SAMe, methyl B12, 1/4 tablet of L5HTP, P5P, vitamin E and vitamin D3.

The addition of the P5P has been noticeable, albeit a very minor improvement in the eternal exhaustion I'm dealing with.

Symptoms:

My pain is drastically reduced. I'm still having chronic leg pain in my left calf - but at it's worst it's running a 4 on the scale of 1 to 10. And every epsom salt bath drops it down to a 1 or 2 for at least 24 hours. This is compared to a 7 or 8 before I started taking the baths. With the exception of my upper back, all of the other chronic pain sites have stopped hurting altogether.  My upper back started hurting years ago... but stopped immediately after my gall bladder surgery. Only now, it's started to bother me again... not sure what's up, but  it's mild pain at this point at least. Epsom salt baths don't seem to help nor hurt.

Exhaustion - still not good. I'm still too tired for my own good and I'm back to the state of having issues after exerting energy. Every ten minutes I spend doing housework requires about an hour of 'recovery' and even then... after about four or five ten minute sessions, I'm down for the rest of the day. I'm back to having to lay down after work and struggling to get back on my feet. Evenings and weekends are spent mostly in bed trying to recover from my work week.

My mood is still mostly just solitary and desiring to be alone. I'm feeling tired and grumpy most of the time.

My balance is still awful. I tumble a lot and fall into things with having issues if I get up too quickly.

So, now to figure out my next steps. I'm concerned about the amount of folic acid I'm getting through my pre-packaged meals and breads, pastas, etc. It is going to be really difficult, but I do think that by going grain free I can potentially avoid all 'fortified' flours sneaking Folic Acid into my diet.

My issues with going grain free has more to do with lack of convenience. It's easy to through a pot of spaghetti or goulash onto the stove top and I know my son will eat it. It's in the evenings when I'm too tired to move that I can pop a frozen dinner into the microwave and eat. I've got breakfast bars made with grains that are 12 for $5 that I often use for snacks and/or a breakfast without cooking. When you do that... then what do you do when all of those choices now become the enemy?

Sadly, I don't think that my alternatives are going to land in my lap without some time and energy working through options... I have heard that substituting with gluten-free alternatives at the shops is something that might be difficult if you attempt it before you've gone gluten free for a while first.  Because the taste buds just aren't going to accept the changes unless you cut it out first.

But, while I look for alternative breakfast, snack and fast meal options I am going to try to eat more vegetables with a greater variety. Who knows maybe some of the vegetarian meals might become new family favorites and might even become a fast meal option on nights when I can't cope?


No comments: