Friday, May 03, 2013

Best laid plans get trampled again

So, I thought I had it ALL figured out. Major dental work - huge bill - but not urgent. I could put away $2500 in 2013 pre-tax using FSA dollars. I could put away $2500 in 2014 pre-tax using FSA dollars. And I could put away several thousand pre-tax dollars with my HSA plan.

In January of 2014, I could still access 100% of my 2013 FSA, and 100% of 2014 FSA and as much HSA funds as I needed to for the balance and leave the remaining funds for other, future health care.

Yeah. All planned out.

Until last month - when four of my molars started to bother me. Bother me a lot. Like hide the plyers from me because I might not wait for an oral surgeon to get the blasted things out.

So, I procrastinated. I put ice on it. I bought more maximum strength Ambusol. I started taking Ibuprofen like it was candy.

After three weeks of misery, I broke down and went to the dentist. I still had $2500 in my 2013 FSA. And I had another $500 in my HSA. And I had $1500 between emergency savings and checking account. Well, I had that much. I don't anymore. It still wasn't enough. BUT I managed to get another $2000 through a credit agency. 0% interest for 12 months (you can bet it will be payed off long before then).

Ok - it's settled. I paid the dentist. THEN I got told it would take two weeks to get an appointment with the oral surgeon. Seriously? OMG I AM IN AGONY. TWO WEEKS? GAH. Ok. I think I can survive that long. I've survived this long on ibuprofen, ambusol and ice. What's two more weeks?

ONLY then I got a call back that they didn't think they could fit me in within two weeks - it would be six weeks. Oh HELL no. That was NOT going to fly.  Oh, and by the way, we'll have to do some additional work - and it'll be another $800. sigh.

So, I went back in and had a discussion. I mentioned the pain level. I mentioned my concern about waiting six weeks. Before I got to the point of asking for a FULL refund and finding another dentist, they got on the phone with the oral surgeon on my behalf and threatened him with taking my surgery to someone else. Suddenly there was an opening in two weeks. TAKE IT.

For the $800 I don't have? They are willing to let me bring it in after payday the day of the surgery. That'll do. That'll do.

Now, if I could just hide under the covers and act like these next two weeks aren't happening to me, that would help. The surgery is going to be pretty bad and recovery is rough. But it won't be nearly the kind of pain I'm dealing with right now... I'll be really glad when it's over and done with and I'm starting to heal.

No comments: