Wednesday, May 28, 2014

MTHFR, methylFolate and gout?! sigh

Chemistry was never a strong suit of mine. I took Geology in college for my 'science' credit.

Bio-chemistry is still far over my head.

But, now I want to dig further.

For folks with MTHFR taking methylfolate, there is a general consensus that sometimes high purine diet helps - increasing the beef, and other high purine value foods.

I haven't done that. Not hat I don't enjoy a rare, good steak... but it is normal for me to eat lots of soups and low-beef foods. High vegies, high fruits, moderate protein.

AND based on basic googling research, it appears that MTHFR impacts methylation cycle and can impact the bodies ability to process purine... which can convert to uric acid. Too much uric acid can result in gout flare ups.

Gout is exceptionally rare among patients having trouble with MTHFR impacting their health.

But, the more I think about it ... what I'm experiencing does make some sense.

If with MTHFR, the body isn't breaking down purine well... then it's not producing high amounts of uric acid.

Before I started treating MTHFR I never experienced any symptoms of gout.

Once I started taking methylfolate I had a couple of episodes with gout pain - but didn't know what it was. My big toe would just hurt like the dickens and I would brush it off thinking I was so clumsy I didn't even remember how I had hurt it. But at the point of starting to take methylfolate - I was starting to convert more purine into more uric acid because I was 'fixing' the process that does that conversion by supporting it.

Now, after almost a year of HEAVY dosing on methylfolate, I'm starting to have multiple symptoms of gout and multiple flare ups and finally have a diagnosis.

Here's the rub... I finally find something that helps me with ALL my other health issues - and it brings up a brand, new condition?!  I don't want to go back where I was... but I do need to figure out a way to manage things such as to cut back the flares.

If you have gout and are reading this, so far, my BEST treatment I'm getting is taking doses of the alkaline mineral A-C Carmabide. It's not that expensive, it cuts the pain of the flare VERY quickly and within a couple of days the flare is gone. But, I'd really like to figure out what to modify in my diet, and or supplement support to help reduce flares. I tend to forget my B12 supplement since it's sublingual and should be taken apart from my other supplements... more research is needed, but at least I'm finally to the point where some of this stuff is starting to make sense.

2 comments:

Lisa Francis said...

My father has just had exactly the same thing happen to him.

Jatin Shukla said...

methyl-life.com has more info on l methylfolate dosage